The Prologue

In six days, I'll be heading off to Peru for new adventures with the Peace Corps. I'm excited, anxious, preemptively missing people, hopeful, curious, and a tad ... listless? I'm packing my life into two lumpy bags, buying duct tape and batteries, and downloading e-books like they were Death Cab for Cutie. I spent nearly $200 at Target, and am now a one-woman pharmacy of multi-vitamins, Airborne chewables and hand sanitizer.

I guess you could say, right now, my life is broken down into a series of post-its that look a little something like this ...

Things to do before I go:
  • renew my driver's license
  • buy personal property insurance
  • establish a power of attorney
  • defer my student loans
  • take pictures of family, friends and home-sweet-home
  • go to a Twins game
Things to pack:
  • duct tape
  • hiking boots, running shoes, ballet flats, high heels and flip flops
  • nifty pocket knife (with the nifty fold-out nail clippers)
  • photo album
  • 27 months worth of *cough* female items
  • address book
  • all five Harry Potter movies
Things I want to see when I'm in South America:
  • Machu Picchu
  • Angel Falls
  • an Andean village
  • Buenas Aires
  • the Amazon River
  • an animal I've never seen
Things to eat as often as possible before I go:
  • hamburgers
  • Vietnamese food
  • mac 'n' cheese
  • French fries
  • club sandwiches (extra bacon)
My brain is going a million directions, and I'm not quite sure I'm ready for this. But I will take solace in one thing: whatever happens, it will be an adventure.

No comments: