Feliz Navidad

I made the mistake the other day of watching Bridget Jones’ Diary. Although normally a wonderful cinematic classic appropriate for any occasion, I got to that last scene and WHAM! — it hit me: Man, I miss snow.

Lately, I’ve been trying to pretend that Navidad is some Peruvian holiday completely devoid of any sentimental attachment. And it’s been pretty easy for the most part. Peru (especially Tumbes) is in its summer; every day is hotter than the day before. Instead of candy canes and Christmas cookies, there is panetón and hot chocolate. Cumbia is still on every radio station and none of the soap operas have even started that two-week long Christmas Day celebration.

Seeing that snow shattered any barrier I had between me and the inevitable First Christmas Away From Home. I figured I had two choices: crawl into my room and watch Harry Potter 1-5 on DVD, drowning myself in a whirlpool of mindless technology. Or celebrate Christmas.

The jury’s still out. But I’m pretty sure I’m going to celebrate Christmas. I’ve made Christmas cards and paper snowflakes. I took a stab at baking homemade cookies (btw chocolate chip is a BIG win with the Peruvians). I’ve even negotiated a split time-schedule with my family for Christmas Eve: For every two cumbia songs, I get one of my Christmas classics. I’m interested in seeing if my family appreciates Bing Crosby’s “Let it Snow” as much as I do …

And I’m going to think of every body back home the whole day. Because even though I’m not there, (yes, this is going to get corny) I’d like to think that if we think of each other at the same time, it’s like we’re celebrating Christmas together.

Oh, and I’m going to the beach. … So that should, umm, cool the sting a little.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Robyn! Sorry to hear about the sickness. I hope things are better. See you in Jan. for the meeting yeah? Take care!