Our new Commander-in-Chief

I cried again. I told myself I wouldn’t. But in my defense, I wasn’t the only one.

Thirty volunteers from Piura and Tumbes were in town for the regional meeting this week, and we all stuck around to watch the inauguration together in a nearby hotel lounge.

Considering that one of Obama’s campaign promises was to double the size of the Peace Corps, I was a little disappointed he didn’t give us a shout-out in his speech. With all that talk of service, you would think he could have added, “And especially those voluntarily living in poverty to promote peace and friendship between our country and so many other nations.”

But whatever, I’m not bitter. He DID say something about those serving in far off deserts and mountains … I live in the dry forest near the Andes, so I’m going to pretend that counts.

With the camera sweeps and Aretha Franklin, it was like watching a movie — made even more cinematic by our reactions. We clapped and cheered when Obama took his oath. Cried when he gave his speech. And stood, hand-over-hearts, to sing the National Anthem.

The Peruvians serving us at the restaurant probably thought we were nuts. One looked visibly frightened.

Although I wish I could have been home for such an historic moment in our country’s history, I have to say I don’t regret being here. Working for the National Guard, I had seen countless ceremonies with flags waving and oaths taken, but it’s a completely different experience for me now. It’s an incredible feeling to have Peruvians ask me about my country. Unapologetically, I answer that we are wounded, but we’re working hard to heal. I have a lot of faith in Obama. I won’t rehash the reasons why. You’ve all seen the clips, read the articles. I don’t think he’s perfect. But I think he’s what we need.

That being said, he’s also a total badass. How many other world leaders do you know who can surf?

No comments: