YEAR IN REVIEW

First day of Peace Corps: Sept. 10, 2008
First day in Peru: Sept. 12, 2008
First day of official service: Nov. 28, 2008
First day in site: Nov. 30, 2008
Cell phones lost: 3 — but I got one back, so ... technically, only 2
Books read: 26 and 5 "started-but-didn't-finish"es
Favorite book read: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Seasons of TV Shows watched: 18 ... that's kind of embarrassing
Most-beloved show on DVD: NBC's The Office
Number of oh-dear-God-I'm-so-sick sick days: 4
Craziest health problem: My brush with chucake
Biggest language blunder: "¡Estoy abierta!" does NOT mean "I'm open!"
Projects started: 6
Projects still going: 5 (the failure? the veggie garden at the primary school)
Condom demonstrations + banana: 12
Best thing said to me by a Peruvian child: Boy says, "When Chinese people talk, do you understand them?" I say no. Boy says, "But you speak English."
Thing I love most about Peru: The generosity of the people
Favorite Peruvian dish: Ceviche (from Tumbes), with lots of lemon and ají
Favorite Peruvian place: The Tumbes coastline at sunset
Best thing about site: My teens and the women at the health post
Most regrettable moment: Crying in front of my health post's machista dentist
Guilty pleasure: Ice-cold Coke from a glass bottle and crime scene investigation shows
Places visited: (Peru) Lima, Tumbes, Mancora, Chiclayo, Piura and Cajamarca; (Ecuador) Cuenca and Quito
Most frequently asked question: ¿Te enseñas? (Are you getting accustomed?)
Person I talk to most from back home: My mom
Person I talk to most in Peru: Sarah
Person I talk to most at site: My host mom
Most important thing I've realized: The United States is the greatest country in the world — for its diversity and opportunity alone. And I entirely underestimated my love of my mom's leftovers.
Worst habit accrued: Lying (to avoid gossip, resentment or unnecessary frustrations at site)
Favorite pastime: Making music videos
Soundtrack to my year: "If you want me to" by Ginny Owens
Most interesting thing I've done: Rode a donkey
Coolest thing I've learned: That you can purify water with the sun
Strangest behavior in the eyes of Peruvians: Eating vegetables raw and not drinking alcohol
Greatest accomplishment: Keeping my compassion while growing thicker skin
Favorite Peruvian custom: Invitar-ing (giving a little of whatever you have to everyone else)
What keeps you sane at site: Closing the door to my room
Something I've discovered: Peace Corps volunteers are some of the coolest, craziest and most incredible people I've ever met in my life.
Things I miss most from home: Watching TLC and Discovery with my mom on the couch, visiting my dad at work, watching chick flicks with my sister, going to my brother and sister-in-law's house, playing with my nieces and nephews, going out to dinner with my friends, eating what I want when, free refills, clean water from the tap, hot showers, bookstores, feeling healthy, carpet, couches, understanding what's going on around me most of the time, having regular access to news, colorful seasons, coffee shops, tex-mex, really tight hugs, singing at the top of my lungs without anyone listening, cooking, church on Sunday mornings, and sandwiches. Lots and lots of sandwiches.

Favorite photo of a Peruvian child:

Favorite photo of a Peruvian landscape:

Favorite photo of my site:


Favorite photo that needs a back story:

Favorite photo of a captured moment:

2 comments:

Annie Bopannie said...

Hey Robyn!

Sounds like you've had quite the first year. I love Ginny Owen's! That song makes me cry everytime...Looking forward to meeting some of Peru 13 and you too!

Nos vemos pronto!
Annie

zhonig said...

I googled chucake and found that the top result was from your blog! Best. Story. Ever. I hope I don't get chucake from the ceviche.