Camp VALOR

Photos from our boys leadership camp in Chulucanas, Piura. Because I'm a girl, I wasn't a counselor this time. But I ref'd field games with my friend Susan and played the female love interest in our dinner theatre telenovela Cuerpo de Pasión. A lot of fun and way less stress, but I didn't go away with any warm fuzzies this time.

Not to say the boys didn't have fun. The two I brought with me had a great time. But I don't know if they left motivated to change their community. Maybe I'll need to wait a little while in order to see the impact it had on them.

Jhonatan and Renson, the two boys I took from my community.

Relay races during field games.

Kick-boxing for morning exercises.

To build team spirit at the beginning, the boys had to de-ice-ify a t-shirt and put it on their camp counselor, Douglas.

Doug was pretty excited.

Me in my "ref" uniform. I found Susan's and my jersey at the border market for $3. I think they are technically from a team in Europe. The whistles are from our med kits. Thanks, Peace Corps!

The boys playing water balloon volleyball. That handsome devil on the left is Jhonatan, one of my teen health promoters.

The volunteers who participated. We always do a "loco" photo after the legit shot.

At the end of the camp, we had a talent show, and (in the spirit of the World Cup) we girls performed to "Wavin' Flag" ... the David Bisbal version. We had a hard time keeping up with the Spanish lyrics at some points, but we had fun.

All of the boys, counselors and the ladies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look fabulous, as usual. Glad you're still kicking it Peru-style and enjoying the experience! Love you much.