Organic Vegetable Garden

We started talking about planting a veggie garden over a year ago. Began prepping the soil about 3 months ago. And finally planted about a month and a half ago. Now, going to our little biohuerto is the best part of my day.

Not that the experience has been a cakewalk. Few things in Peace Corps are as easy as you think they'll be. But my counterpart, Karen, and I are learning a lot. At first, the onion and ají peppers didn't sprout, and then a fungus attacked some of our cucumber plants. The ground is as hard as cement and soaks up water faster than a sponge. But despite some of our little hurdles, we're having a lot of fun. And this Saturday, we're going to debut the garden to families participating in our Healthy Homes project.

But first, I'm going to debut it here for y'all to see.

These are some seedlings I have in my backyard. The green bowl is ají peppers; the checkered bag, onion; and the small red plastic bag, green peppers. But right now, they all look exactly the same.

Spinach -- I can hardly wait to make a delicious salad out of these beautiful leafy greens.

The cucumber we might have planted a little too close together. These plants are monstrous, and I'm seriously concerned there's an ant sting operation about to take them out ...

These are carrots. I think we gave them way more space than they needed, but we weren't sure. Although now I'm fairly certain that the ground isn't loose enough for them, and they will turn out to be short, fat little things. But oh well! We'll see how yummy they are.

Broccoli and cilantro. We'll probably have two harvests of cilantro before we get any broccoli.

No comments: