Portraits Project: Cecilia


Cecilia, age 40, mother

"ROW-bean!" A voice squealed. "ROW-bean!"

I put my hand up to shield my eyes from the sun, but I didn't need to see the face to recognize the voice.

"Hola Ceci!" I called. She waved me over – lifting her hand, wrist up, and pushing it down toward her, as if she were in a boat without an oar.

"ROW-bean! Come here!"

I walked over to the short, stout woman with the wide smile buying cilantro from the corner store. She gripped my shoulders and gave me an eager kiss on the cheek.

"Row-bean, how are you? What are you doing? Where are you going? Come to my house!" She said in one breath.

"I'm well, señora," I replied. "How are you?"

"Good, good. Row-bean, where have you been? You haven't visited me in so long. You have to come to my house. Let's chat."

"Oh, thank you, Ceci, I would love to, but I can't. I'm sorry," I said, bulking up the sound of my regret. "I have to get back to work."

"Nonsense," she waved my words away. "You have to come over and have some dessert."

I looked at my watch. It was 9:30 a.m.

"Really, thank you, Ceci, but I don't think I can," I said, then added, " you know, full chamba" for emphasis.*

Ignoring my response, she put her hand on my arm eagerly.

"Row-bean, Row-bean. You know what we need to do? You have to come with me soon to visit my mom in the country. I tell her all about you. What are you doing this afternoon? Let's go this afternoon! We'll make ceviche and go for a walk on the paths along the hills. You'll meet my mom. Yes, that's what we'll do this afternoon. Come over around 3."

"That's really kind of you, Señora. I would really love to, but I have another engagement." Her smile was not deterred. "But that sounds really fun. We should definitely plan on doing it sometime soon."

She nodded vigorously, and her smile brought crinkles to her eyes.

"Yes, Row-bean. Soon, soon. When can you come with us to the country? You let me know."

"Of course, Ceci. I will let you know as soon as I can."

She took my hand with both of hers and brought me in to kiss my cheek.

"Take care of yourself, Row-bean. We'll see each other soon. You'll come over, and we'll chat."

"Yes, of course, Señora. Take care. We'll see each other soon."

*full chamba is Peruvian slang for "super busy working"

No comments: