The Crazy Bull (El Toro Loco)

There have been few times thus far in Peru where I have feared for my physical well being, but I have to tell you last weekend was one of those times.

It was a pretty mellow Saturday to start, training at the university and then a relaxing trip to Plaza Vea to buy Mac & Cheese to make for my family (which they loved, by the way). After coming back from Lima, some friends of mine decided to head to a neighborhood anniversary party in a little barrio called 3 de Octubre where some other volunteers are staying.
The party was beautiful. Dancers came out in ornate costumes and bands played, while everyone stood around, drank, laughed, watched. I couldn´t remember the last time I had had that much fun. That is, until, the toro loco.

It was a giant cardboard bull that rested on the shoulders of a local. When everyone was gathered, they lit the fuses of the fireworks (that´s right ... fireworks) and the toro loco ran around and through the crowd as sparks rained down on random passers-by. Twice, a giant flaming ball of something shot like a dart into the crowd. The smoke made it hard to see. People were screaming.

It was chaos.

There were some brave few who stayed inside the gated soccer field. But others (me) fled to the street for safety and watched from afar.

When things calmed down, everyone ate and laughed and danced. The fun resumed. And soon, I was out of breath with aching cheeks from smiling too much.

I wish I had photos to share with you. I´ll try and gather some from one of the dozens of other volunteers there.

I mean, a giant, fireworks-spouting, cardboard bull. How cool is that?

No comments: