The Sick Day

So ... it happened. I got sick. I knew it was inevitable, and by George it was.

It all started Saturday with some seemingly innocent pizza at a mall in Lima. I felt fine --or at least I THOUGHT I felt fine. Until suddenly--BAM. A night full of horrible groaning, disgusting scenes of which I will spare you, and prayers for God either to kill me or heal me.

I spent all day Monday in bed -- mostly in tears -- holding my stomach and trying to sleep. Suni, our rock star Peace Corps doctor, diagnosed me with a bacterial infection and prescribed me some anitbiotics and Dramamine. And ta-da! Two days later I can eat again! ¡Qué milagro!

I share this because it´s a tiny little victory for me. A small mark of honor etched into my memory, proving to myself I was here. I came stomach to face with my first bacterial microbe and won! I´m really in the Peace Corps! Granted, it wasn´t an ameoba or anything, but I still have two years left. *crosses fingers* Here´s hoping!

... kidding.

2 comments:

Sasha said...

i came and visited you. your sister said you were resting and shouldn't be bothered. I don't know if she passed along the message. glad you're feeling better...

Unknown said...

That sounds miserable, but, um congrats? I think that's appropriate, and I'm glad you're better! Keep eating that delicious fruit -- I miss you!