Back to Peru

Hey all! I made it back to Peru OK, and in a lot better shape than I thought I'd be, thanks to your comments and e-mails. One note, in particular, helped shake me from my sulking.

A friend of mine told me to try and remember what it was like when I first got accepted to Peace Corps. How it felt when I held the thick envelope in my hands with photos of blonde 20-somethings in the Andes beside stories of planting vegetable gardens with families and primary schools. How I daydreamed about where I would go and the people I would meet. The adventures I'd have.

And how in nowhere in those daydreams was leaving early an option.

So, since I committed to stay, I'm at least going to do it without pouting. Because frankly, I'm getting a little sick of myself. I love my family and friends back home, and I miss them. But as another friend pointed out to me, I have the rest of my life to live among them. And I need to take advantage of what's in front of me.

Happy New Year, everyone!

1 comment: